Applications were distributed through the schools last June, are on our website www.gardencitybasketball.org or you may conveniently signup online.
Our regular intramural game day season is expected to start Saturday MORNING, December 4th and run through March 5th, 2011. Our registration fee is $75.
We believe that Garden City Basketball has the vision, volunteers and dedicated coaches, and sets the highest standard for youth basketball in the village of Garden City.
Make sure you choose the right program…Garden City Basketball…
The focus of Garden City Basketball is our intramural program. Our greater mission is to provide a wonderful experience for all of our participants so that a love of the life long game of basketball will be nurtured and grow.
Our goal is simply to have a great program that is our version of fun for children. Our teams have equal playing time with no tension and no pressure.
The Garden City Basketball intramural program is held in the St. Paul’s Field House. We offer:
• Clinics for Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade Boys & Girls – Our nationally recognized clinic uses 8ft baskets and stations of different foundational skills & drills. Professionals recommend staying at a lower basket as not to create poor shooting mechanics in younger players. Basket height at a young age needs to be set for all players not for the limited few who can use the higher basket. If a second grader would like to “play-up” we always have made this accommodation. Note; This is a clinic and teams are not formed and participants are not called.
• Boys skills instruction/practices/games for the 3rd through the 6th grade -This is a new format for our program where we are combining skills&drills instruction, a team type/game situation practice, and a regular game with officials&clocks all into one power packed session.
• Girls skills instruction/practices/games for the 3rd through the 7th grade -This is a new format for our program where we are combining skills&drills instruction, a team type/game situation practice, and a regular game with officials&clocks all into one power packed session.
• Boys intramural “Friday Night Lights” for the 7th through the 12th grade program that is held in town on Friday Nights. The older boys have now enjoyed 10 years of pick-up with Island Garden refs and Coach Skramko at Stewart school. This is by far the longest running program of its type for this age group in the village. This program was originally formed 10 years ago as an “anti-drug and alcohol” alternative. There were teams, uniforms and formal games. The offering has evolved over the years to what it is today. A format where teenage boys play lots of basketball the way they want to play. Last season the boys generally played about 90 minutes of hoops followed by half court “knock out”. All of our other programs have their games on Saturday.
• A variety of special events like the JrNBA Skills Challenge, NBA FIT, NBA Nation, and NBA Cares.
Our organization doesn’t believe in charging a late fee. However, we order uniforms for all participants in October, so please help our planning by registering now. The Village allocates space based upon enrollment, so signing up now makes sure you are counted and that our program receives its fair share of valuable village resources. Our program has always held our K-1-2 clinic first, then our girls program, and end with our boys program.
It goes without saying, volunteers are always needed. If you would like to help in any way…please let us know and we’ll get you into the mix. Everyone appreciates the coaches but it is the parents that help setup, bring the coffee, take down the banners and provide assistance to participants that makes Garden City Basketball a great program.
There are many choices for basketball including CYO St Joe’s, CYO St Anne’s, Island Garden AAU Lightning teams, independent teams, the gcaa, and of course our Garden City Basketball program.
Visit www.gardencitybasketball.org to obtain more information on our program.
Surf the site and check out the following:
• “Background” link for additional general information
• “Application” link for safe and secure online registration or a paper application
• “Clinic” link for the framework of how our K-1-2 clinics are performed
• “Teams” link to have an idea how a coach may manage team communication
• “Travel Program” link for information on the various travel options in the village
• “Basketball Links” for a wealth of basketball focused websites
• Graphic for the AAU to launch the Amateur Athletic Union website, Graphic for the Island Garden to launch their website, Graphic for the Long Island Basketball to launch their website, Graphic for the Jr.NBA/Jr.WNBA to launch their site and Graphics for Fundamental Sports Training and the Professional Athletic Performance Center websites for specialized training
We hope that you will join the best basketball program in town.
Sign-up ONLINE TODAY!
If there are any questions, please contact John Skramko at email@example.com or 516-746-9659.