Garden City PTA News
It all began 80 years ago with one teacher!
Garden City’s 5th-grade students once again stepped foot into the renowned Metropolitan Opera at Lincoln Center. This year’s fifth graders joined a long legacy of Garden City children who have benefited from the love and dedication of one music teacher, Helen Plinkiewisch. Ms. Plinkiewisch took the first group of students in 1937 to the original Opera House for the Metropolitan Guild’s first student matinee performance to coincide with her music curriculum of teaching opera to her students. Since then hundreds of Garden City children have joined the hundreds of thousands of students to experience live opera at the Met.
The Garden City Parent Teacher Association is proud to continue this tradition with its annual sponsorship of the Metropolitan Opera subscriptions on behalf of the Garden City Public Schools. On March 13th, Stewart and Stratford fifth-grade students saw a dress rehearsal of Fidelio, Beethoven’s only complete opera. Your support of the PTA helps to make these truly unique cultural experiences possible for our children.
Join your neighbors and friends who have already added their support!
Please help us send a loud message to our legislators that Garden City proudly stands together in support of our public schools. Ask Albany to increase public education funding today. Add your name to the pre-written message (or edit to make it your own) – it is so easy. Click http://bitly.com/ SU4GCPS17 today to add your support. Advocacy works, if we work together.
Deadline for Dinner Ticket Purchase
Wish, Believe, Achieve: The Annual Dinner, Presented by the Garden City PTA
One night to celebrate what we believe…when parents, teachers, and a community come together with one voice; every child’s potential becomes a reality.
Our Dinner Committee has planned a wonderful evening for you! Don’t miss out on live music and DJ, extended cocktail hour, cash bar, strolling dinner, mingling with teachers, friends, and family – and chances to win amazing Raffle Baskets, Balloon Pop Prizes, Grand Raffles, and Silent Auction items. During the evening we will present Mr. Greg Bavaro, Dr. Judith Hecker, Ms. Jane Jordan and Mrs. Susan Lee a NYS PTA Honorary Life Member award in recognition of their distinguished service to Garden City’s children and youth. Come celebrate with us!
Visit our website or http://bit.ly/ TheAnnualDinnerTickets to purchase your Dinner Ticket and Grand Raffle Tickets. Today, Friday, March 17th is the last day to purchase your Dinner Tickets. Tickets may not be purchased at the door.
Check out the Grand Raffles! There is something for everyone. Grand raffle tickets can be purchased online at http:// bit.ly/TheAnnualDinnerTickets, sold at all parent-teacher conferences and at the Dinner. You do not need to be present to win a grand prize. So even if you can’t attend the dinner, you can support this wonderful event.
1. Night in Havana! with The Well Seasoned Chef - Dinner party and cooking class for eight adults (Courtesy of the Brivio Family)
2. NCAA Lacrosse Championships Experience - Four all-session tickets for 2017 Division I, II, III Men’s Lacrosse Championships in Boston, May 2017 with hotel gift card (Courtesy of the D’Antonio Family)
3. Little Blue Box Just for You - Classic Tiffany NYC Cuff Bracelet and Elsa Peretti Pendant (Courtesy of the Costello and Hanrahan Familes)
4. Five-Star Garden City Staycation - Bed & Breakfast Package at The Garden City Hotel, The Red Door and Polo Steakhouse gift cards (Courtesy of our Local Businesses)
5. Night Out in NYC: Two iHeartRadio Concert Tickets - Winner chooses from available iHeartRadio concerts, dinner gift card, and hotel gift card (Courtesy of the Coviello Family)
Check out the evenings
Silent Auction items!
Silent Auction bidding is available at the event and winners are responsible for payment that evening. Cash, checks, and credit cards will be accepted at the Dinner.
• Buckley Day Camp - two-week session for summer 2017 - no restrictions (Courtesy of Buckley Day Camp)
• Bastille Concert Tickets - two tickets in luxury Barclay’s box - March 30th (Courtesy of the Cohen Family)
• Nets vs. Sixers - four tickets in luxury Barclay’s box - March 28th (Courtesy of the Cohen Family)
• Magnificent Framed Artwork. (Courtesy of Tranpani Art & Frame)
• Nets vs. Magic - four tickets in luxury Barclay’s box - April 1st. (Courtesy of the Cohen Family)
• Camp Cody - two-week session for summer 2017, sleepaway camp in New Hampshire. (Courtesy of Camp Cody)
Thank you so much to our Dinner Sponsors and Dinner Guests who made cash donations to cover the evening’s expenses. The generosity of sponsors and donors ensures that every dollar raised at the Dinner goes directly to support our children’s education, our public schools, and our community. Here is a list of our sponsors. Remember to Shop and Dine Local and say thank you to our wonderful GC businesses.
Dr. Denise Emma, DDS
Dr. Elizabeth Kitsos, DDS Pediatric
Tarr’s Home Improvement, Inc.
Curvebreakers Test Prep
Jacqueline M. Goode & Brian C.
Steve Madden LTD Miller Family
Northwell Imaging at Garden City
Old World Quality Corp.
Dr. Stacey Reynolds, DDS Pediatric
Dentistry of GC Securities Consultants, LLC
Garden City Endodontics, PLLC
Garden City Police Benevolent Assoc.
Garden City Spirit
Royal Provisions, Inc
Town Meat Market
• 3/17, F - Last day to purchase Dinner Tickets at http://bit.ly/ TheAnnualDinnerTickets. Tickets cannot be purchased at the door.
• 3/23, Th – The Annual Dinner, Presented by the GC PTA at The Garden City Hotel from 6:30 to 10:30 pm.
Pick-a-Reading-Partner PARP 2017
PTA is proud to partner with GCPS to offer PARP Blast Off to Reading events to Stewart, Stratford, Hemlock, Homestead, and Locust students and their families during the month of March. A calendar of PARP events and student activities can be found on our webpage or http://bit.ly/ BlastOfftoReading. This week, Long Island Science Museum is bringing their inflatable STAR LAB to the schools and students will explore the night sky.
Send us pictures of your child’s PARP adventures. Email photos to firstname.lastname@example.org include in the subject line “(the name of your child’s school)”. Share your family’s excitement and adventures throughout the month. Perhaps the picture will make its way to the PARP finale extravaganza video!
• 3/20, M – Stratford PARP Boards due to classroom teachers
• 3/20, M - STAR LAB Hemlock Kindergarten
• 3/21, T – STAR LAB Homestead Kindergarten
• 3/22, W – STAR LAB Hemlock 1st Grade
• 3/22, W – Author Visit, Elizabeth Eulberg, Stratford School
• 3/22, W – STAR LAB Homestead 1st Grade
• 3/23, W – “Poem in Your Pocket Day” – Bring your favorite poem to share
• 3/24, F – STAR LAB Locust 1st Grade
• 3/24, F – PARP Raffle – Week #4 – Visit GC Library each week to enter!
Ask your child about their fun excursion to…
• 4/5, W - First-grade students will be treated to a presentation of “Revelations: EarthBeat” at the Kupferberg Center for the Arts
Order school supplies now
Attention K-7 grade and all incoming September 2017 kindergarten families. Save time & money with quality products with teacher approved and custom packed for your child’s classroom. Avoid summer shopping hassles: No crowds, traffic, or guesswork and order your September school supplies online.
March 6, 2017– April 21, 2017 http://bit.ly/GCPTASchoolSupplies
• Enter School ID: GAR054.
• Follow the instructions to order online.
• Order the grade pack your child will be starting in September 2017.
Upcoming GCPTA Events:
• Until 4/21, F - K-7 grade and all incoming September 2017 kindergarten families order your child’s September 2017 school supplies, http://bit.ly/ GCPTASchoolSupplies CODE: GAR054
• 3/20, M - Stratford PTA Meeting at 9:30 am
• 3/21, T - Stewart PTA Meeting at 9:30 am
• 3/23, Th – The Annual Dinner, Presented by the GC PTA at the Garden City Hotel from 6:30 to 10:30 pm.
Upcoming GCPS Events:
Attention Stewart Parents
• 3/24, F - Stewart 5th Grade Circus Performance at 7:00 pm
Attention Middle School Parents
• 3/20, M – Parents of Grade 6th graders: Preparing for 7th Grade “Making the Accelerated Choice in Math & Science” in MS Auditorium at 7:00 pm
Attention High School Parents
• 3/20, M - Spring Sports Yearbook Photos in HS Gym at 3:00 pm
PTA at the BOE
Join the budget discussion at a Board of Education meeting. The school budget conversation continues in March with discussions on how the proposed school budget impacts your child’s school day.
• 3/21, T – Budget Work Session #4: Instructional Components - Part 2, GCHS at 8:15 pm